What thoughts or emotions arise in you as you hear the following words and phrases? As you consider these, try not to assume what my personal responses might be; I will comment with mine later.
- People speak of “Mother Nature” or “Mother Earth.” Here’s an old quote found online: “Look at all the wonders that Mother Nature provides, from fruit and vegetables to beautiful mountains and oceans. You better batten down the hatches, because Mother Nature is blowing up a serious storm.”
- “Good luck!” It’s used often, by many.
- Not within a religious setting, someone speaks the following theological phrases with emotion, “God-da….it!” OR “Jesus Christ!”
- Similarly, though its use is more widespread—“Holy cow!”
- Upon the death of someone, another person, seeking to communicate a proper condolence, usually through social media, writes a theological statement—“Rest in Peace” (RIP).
From what perspective do you hear or say those phrases? Does that make a difference?